Friday, May 9, 2008

There was not much gardening this week. In fact, I can't actually recall spending any time in the garden since the weekend, though I think I may have visited briefly with the kids to show them the beanpole hideout I made to (hopefully) get them excited about working & playing in the garden with me this summer!

It was a wild ride of a week, heart-lifting joys - a bus ride, a zoo trip, savoring a two year old's birthday, and Blessing the Way for my dear friend's homebirth midwifery practice - juxtaposed with the gut-wrenching sorrow of the death of my friend's newborn niece.

There was a nice steady rain yesterday and today, and I believe it's predicted for tomorrow as well, which will add to the intense sorrow that will be expressed tomorrow at Audrey's Memorial service.

The seeds I planted last weekend (peas and sunflowers), and the Morning Glory seedlings I transplanted, should hopefully be pretty happy.

I look forward to getting my hands back in the garden this weekend. In fact, I think that is what I would like for Mother's Day - a nice chunk of uninterrupted gardening time.

Alone would be lovely, as would being assisted by willing helpers. The key word for me is uninterrupted (as in not stopping what I'm doing every other minute to help someone else with what they want to do ;-).

Actually, that's what I would like, not just for Mother's Day, but as a valued part of our family's weekly rhythm -- regular blocks of uninterrupted time to relax and be creative...with my children, with my husband, with family and friends, and (at least occasionally ;-) totally alone!

No comments: