Saturday, May 24, 2008

Bloom where you are planted!

I spent the morning, which started early with a chicken hand-off (yay!), dividing and moving perennials in the front yard.

I didn't wake with the intention of doing so, but while out handing off the trouble-maker chickens, I spotted a plastic grocery bag containing Bearded Iris rhizomes that I intended to plant last fall but never did.

Despite being left out in the snow and freezing temperatures all winter, I saw a beautiful Iris flower bud about to open.

Remembering the beautiful Irises that I had just admired the previous day at my daughter's nursery school, I set to work to find a great spot to display these beauties, which needed only a little propping to straighten the stalk.

As I planted them I spotted another place that was calling for the tall, beautiful light purple flowers near the front door. So I decided to go out to my (long-neglected) mailbox garden and dig up some more.

While there I dug some Siberian Irises (small dark purple flowers), daylilies, creeping thyme, and lavender and found places along the stone path leading up to the house to show them off and give visitors some points of interest along the path!

Next I decided to relocate two small azaleas that have not been thriving where they are planted. Inspired by a recent visit to a beautiful azalea garden (photo left) -- a private garden that is made open to the public every spring -- I grouped the two azaleas on the edge of the woods in front of our house. At some point I will add a sitting bench tucked into them.

It was SO fun to work out there this morning, swiftly molding and shaping a new feel to the entrance to our house - and all using already existing plants!

Later this afternoon I got out into the garden for a half an hour to do some weeding. Quinn, and eventually Lily, joined me and had a blast creating and playing in a giant mud puddle. (Didn't have the camera with me and by the time John came out to see what we were up to, two mud covered kids were on their way in for a bath!)

No comments: