Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Garden

As I said in my intro, this is the first year that I am putting my energy and creativity (and sweat and labor) into the vegetable garden located at the bottom of the basin that is our side yard.

I have always enjoyed harvesting the fruits of John's labor and admiring everything as it grew but I have never been involved with the planning, planting and tending of a garden.

This year I have decided that I would like to have this experience and let John and the kids enjoy the fruits of my labor and admiring everything as it grows!

In the future I look forward to planning, planting and tending as a family!

What I have done so far is:

~ Transplanted raspberries that I dug (with permission ;-) from my friends' yard in a row that runs parallel to (but outside of) the garden.
~ Planted three rows of onions - yellow and red
~ Planted three rows of potatoes - red, yellow and blue
~ Planted strawberries (last fall)
~ Bought pea seeds and green bean seeds
~ Planted carrot seeds in containers to keep on the deck
~ Transplanted two blueberry bushes - one a gift for Lily's birthday last year and one newly purchased this year - on the hill leading from the house to the garden.
~ Raked LOTS of leaves and pine needles and dumped them in the chickens' pen so they can scratch for bugs and eat greens and so we can hopefully grow a decent lawn for the first time since sheep and (formerly free-range) chickens moved onto the scene.
~ Bought seeds and begun dreaming about a beautiful butterfly garden in the middle of the basin - one of the few places in the yard that receives direct sun nearly all day.
~ Picked and scattered dandelion seeds so that we can hopefully have lots of tasty dandelion greens to eat next spring.

No comments: