Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Sprouts!

There are sprouts in the garden! From seeds that I planted!

I am SO excited - and a little surprised.

I planted them with the intention of them sprouting but I only half-believed it would happen. I have planted many seeds in the last several years that have not sprouted. Or they sprouted and the squirrels gobbled them up. Or they sprouted and I was too busy to notice.

But this year there are sprouts. And the squirrels are busy up by the house eating the peanuts Quinn and I have been leaving out for them. And I am VERY much noticing. (Actually this year I am very much noticing everything that is sprouting and growing - even random trees and plants that I used to label "weeds" or "scrub brush" are catching my attention.)

In the garden right now we have strawberry patch bursting with big beautiful flowering plants (something I have been dreaming about for the last 10 years), potatoes that are starting to sprout roots, sunflower sprouts, green onions, garlic (that John planted a couple of years ago), morning glory sprouts and pea sprouts.

We also have poison ivy, which I am, unfortunately, allergic to. And it is very close to the bean-pole hideout that I'm making for the kids so it really needs to go. I tried pouring vinegar on it tonight, which I've read is a good, non-toxic way to kill an unwanted plant.

When I poured the vinegar on the unwanted poison ivy, I saw how quickly it trailed through the dirt towards the very much wanted sunflower and pea sprouts. As I diverted the stream of plant-burning vinegar, I thought about a bumper sticker I've seen in the past that says, "We All Live Downstream."

Meanwhile Lily came out to help me (and collect worms - her new passion). I showed her how to weed, which is kind of funny because tomorrow I am starting my work-share job at our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) Farm and I am nervous because I don't really know how to tend a garden.

When I went last week to meet my fellow cutting-garden-tenders, who have been doing the job for a couple of years now, I felt way over my head. I hadn't even seen some of the tools they were using and had never used a garden hoe.

I'm excited to start my work-share job tomorrow. I know I am going to learn so much that is going to help us as Nadalada Farm grows!

No comments: