Wednesday, July 9, 2008

DIY Project: Compost Bins

I borrowed this great book from the library and am feeling ready to 'dig' into composting.

We have been tossing scraps outside and calling it compost for as long as we've lived here. (Nearly all of our food scraps get thrown in the chicken pen where the hens scratch at it and take what they want.) But we've yet to cross over into actually cultivating compost for the benefit of our garden -- and that's just what I'd like to do next!

I've been looking around online and found some plans to build simple compost bins out of recycled wood pallets. (I e-mailed the local master gardeners' info desk to make sure that the pallets are suitable for use in an organic garden and they gave me a thumbs up.) And I found pallets at the nearby farm and garden store for $1.25 a piece.

The kids are spending the afternoon with my mom (basking in her air-conditioned first floor) and I'm heading out into the heat to start building!

No comments: