Friday, July 11, 2008

The benefits of knowing your farmer!

It's blueberry-picking time and my friends and I have again begun compiling lists of pesticide-free places to pick berries with our kids. It seems each year one of us discovers a new place that does not spray!

Today I spoke with my friend, who is also my children's daycare provider, and she had just returned from berry-picking at a nearby farm with good news.

Although the farmer is still using pesticides to combat worms, he is spraying significantly less than he did last year (he's now spraying once every three-four weeks, instead of weekly) due to numerous requests from customers who want safer berries for their families.

It's still not organic, and I know some purists would still consider it unacceptable, but I feel like it is a really good sign -- a consumer-led shift towards more sustainable and healthy way of farming!

In related news, my friend recently asked me to help her write a letter to her favorite local breakfast restaurant to encourage them to start serving local, pastured eggs. I think it's a great idea and decided to create a template letter that others might copy and tweak a little to follow suit. I will post it here as soon as it's complete!

No comments: