Sunday, August 17, 2008

The tomatoes are in!



We picked up these gorgeous tomatoes at our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm on Friday.

You won't see tomatoes like these in your grocery store. Heirloom tomatoes are lumpy and bumpy and, by many standards, quite funny looking. But trust me, once you've tried a fresh, juicy heirloom tomato, (which you can do this Saturday at the Coastal Grower's Market if you are in Rhode Island), you won't want to go back to the tasteless orbs sold in grocery stores.

About a year-and-a-half ago, I decided to only eat tomatoes that are fresh and in season. (I'm not fanatical about it. If a friend serves me a tomato in January, I eat it, but I do not buy tomatoes out of season and opt out of them at restaurants whenever I can.)

The decision has not really been a big deal or one that I've given much thought to -- until this week when I saw the first tomatoes in the CSA barn! Wow! SO worth the wait!

No comments: